The Atera agent is the foundation of the Atera monitoring system and needs to be installed on all computers and servers you wish to monitor. The agent monitors the availability, performance, and health of the computer/server at regular intervals and securely communicates back to the cloud. This enables Atera to send you alerts when a critical system or resource is down, degraded, or has reached a predefined threshold parameter. The Atera agent for Windows OS is a .MSI file, and should be installed on all computer/servers you wish to monitor. Learn more about the Atera agent, including system requirements
This article describes downloading and installing the Atera agent on a Windows OS device. If you experience any trouble with agent installation or stability, see Troubleshoot the Atera Agent (Windows).
Check out our article Install the Atera agent using Group Policy, to learn how to set Atera agent installation using Group Policy Objects.
Got a Mac? See how to install an agent on a Mac OS device
Install the Atera Agent
Note: Only an admin can install an Atera Agent.
To download and install the agent:
1. Click the Install agent button in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
Note: You can also download and install the Atera agent directly from the site's page to automatically assign the agent to the particular site.
Note: You can also download and install the Atera agent directly from the customer's page to automatically assign the agent to the customer.
The Download agent installer window appears.
2. Select Windows (.msi). Then click Next.
3. Assign the agent to a customer.
Note: Installing an assigned agent will automatically assign the device to the customer.
3. Assign the agent to a site.
Note: Installing an assigned agent will automatically assign the device to the site.
4. Click Next.
Now that we've set everything up, it's time to download and install the Atera agent. There are three ways to do this:
- Install the agent via the Command Prompt
- Share the installer link with an end user
- Share the installer link with a customer
- Download the agent installer
Install the Agent via the Command Prompt
You can install the agent via the Command Prompt with a simple copy/paste of the command provided. For more details, see Install an Atera Agent via Command Prompt
Share the Installer Download Link with a user
You can copy and share the agent installation link with users to have them install it themselves.
Note: If you've already chosen a site assignment, the agent is automatically assigned to the site upon agent installation.
Share the Installer Download Link with a customer
You can copy and share the agent installation link with your customer and have them install it themselves.
Note: If you've already chosen a customer assignment, the agent is automatically assigned to the customer upon agent installation.
Download the Agent Installer
- Single-agent installation: The most basic installation, used to install an agent on a single device, in a non-domain environment. Simply double-click on the downloaded agent, and follow the installation prompts to install the agent.
- Multiple agent installation (using Group Policy): Used to automatically install agents on multiple devices in a domain environment, and on any device logging into the domain that doesn’t already have the agent. See how to install agents using Group Policy
If you're having any issues using Group Policy, go to Troubleshooting Group Policy Installation
- Downloading and running the agent installer .msi package
- Locally installing the agent via the Command Prompt