The Atera agent monitors the availability, performance and health of your computers\servers, and is the backbone of Atera. It enables Atera to alert you when a critical system or resource is down, degraded, or has reached a predefined threshold parameter, and gives you the ability to view, access, and fix the problem. The Atera agent for Windows OS is a .MSI file, and should be installed on all computer/servers you wish to monitor. This article explains how to:
For download/installation instructions on Mac OS devices, see these instructions.
Download the Agent
The following are instructions for downloading the Atera agent.
To download the agent:
1. Click the Install agent button at the top right of the screen.
The Install Agent screen appears.
2. Complete the 3-step installation process:
a) Select Windows OS, then click Next.
b) You can download either an 'Unassigned' agent, or one specific to the customer (which auto assigns devices to the customer). After making your selection, click Next.
c) Click the Download button. The agent is downloaded to the computer. Run it to complete the installation.
Alternatively, click on the Other Options tab. You can download AND install the agent via the Command Prompt, with a simple copy/paste of the command provided. You can also copy and share the agent installation link with your customer and have them install it themselves. If, in the previous step you've chosen a customer assignment, the agent is automatically assigned to the customer.
Note: You can also download the Atera agent from within the customer's page to automatically assign the agent to the customer. To download:
1. From Customers (on the side panel), click the specific customer.
2. From within the customer's page, click the Devices tab, then the All tab.
3. From the icon dropdown menu, click Agent Installer (Customized)
The Download agent installer wizard appears.
4. Follow the steps:
Step 1: Select Windows OS, and click Next
Step 2: Click Download. An agent installer, specific to the customer, downloads (meaning devices with this agent installed are automatically assigned to the customer). Then run the setup.
Alternatively, click on the Other Options tab. You can download AND install the agent via the Command Prompt, with a simple copy/paste of the command provided. You can also copy and share the agent installation link with your customer and have them install it themselves.
Install the Agent
Once the agent is downloaded, you can install it in one of three ways:
- Single Agent Installation: The most basic installation, used to install an agent on a single customer device, in a non-domain environment.
- Multiple Agent Installation (Using Group Policy): Used to automatically install agents on multiple customer devices, in a domain environment.
- Installation Via Command Prompt: An alternative way to install the agent.
Single Agent Installation
The most basic installation, used to install an agent on a single customer device, in a non-domain environment.
Used to automatically install agents on multiple customer devices in a domain environment, and on any device logging into the domain that doesn’t already have the agent.
To install using Group Policy:
1. Save the Atera agent .msi file in the SYSVOL folder.
2. In the domain controller, open the Group Policy Management and edit the Default Domain Policy.
3. Under Computer Configuration, click on Policies.
4. Click on Software Settings >Software Installation.
5. Click on New, then Package...
5. Choose the Setup file and click Open.
6. Right-click on the new package, and click Properties.
Troubleshooting Group Policy Installation:
- An internet connection is required for agent installation.
To enable: Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon – Enabled
Note: This can significantly slow down off-domain logins for laptops and wireless clients.
- If the device is slow (e.g., old hardware, bad network) you might need to extend the timeout:
To extend: Go to Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy -> Specify startup policy processing wait time - Set timeout (in seconds)
- Language discrepancies can cause installation failure. To work around this, it is necessary to remove the language check:
To remove the language check: Go to Computer Configuration > Policies > Software Installation > Right Click AteraGPO > Properties > Deployment > Advanced > Ignore language when deploying this package - Enabled
- Previously installed agent: Sometimes, the installation will fail if an agent was previously installed through a different account. One of the following two registry keys might be the cause:
Note: After any of the above settings are applied, be sure to run gpupdate /force in order to force the GPO to update. Then reboot, and wait for the policy to enforce.
Installation Via Command Prompt
This is an alternative way to install the agent. To install an agent via the command prompt, see these instructions.