Ticket Automation Rules enable you to set actions that automatically trigger when certain ticket actions occur (e.g., new ticket created, closed, updated). This article explains the Ticket Automation Rule 'custom field' condition, which enables you to create many unique and varied rules based on your ticket custom fields.
Common Use Case
One typical use case enables creating a rule based on whether the custom field has been filled out or not. This can be useful for reminding assigned technicians (or customers using the Customer Portal) to fill in missing custom field data.
One typical use case enables creating a rule based on whether the custom field has been filled out or not. This can be useful for reminding assigned technicians (or users using the Service Portal) to fill in missing custom field data.
Notify the technician when a custom field has been left empty
1. From Admin (on the side panel), click Ticket Automation Rules.
The Ticket Automation Rules page appears.
2. Click Add New Rule
The Add Rule form appears
3. Fill in the form:
- Enter Rule Name: Empty Custom Field (or something similar)
- Enter Description: Let the technician know when a custom field is empty
- Select Trigger: New Ticket Created
- Ignore Flow is applicable when there are multiple automation rules. Selecting 'Yes' enables this rule to operate regardless of rule hierarchy and structure. Learn more
- Ensure Active is set to 'Yes'
4. Click Add
The rule is created and visible on the displayed Ticket Automation Rules page.
5. Click the rule name to manage the Conditions and Actions.
6. Add a Condition:
- Select Ticket Field: Your specific custom field name
- Select Operator: Is Empty
- Check the Must Match checkbox
- When done, click Add, to add the condition
7. Add an Action:
- Select Action Type: Send an Email To Technician
- In Related Field/Email Template, select the specific email template you wish to send the technician (Learn about creating email templates).
- When done, click Add, to add the action
The rule is now active, and when triggered, an email will be sent to the assigned technician.