This article provides instructions for the Atera for IT Departments platform.
In addition to monitoring computers and servers (via installed agents), you can also monitor printers, RAIDs, routers, and other SNMP devices. This article describes the process of adding SNMP devices to Atera monitoring. Once added these devices can be monitored in various ways.
Note: SNMP monitoring works based on SNMP polling, therefore, SNMP traps cannot be configured in Atera.
To add an SNMP device:
1. Near the top-left corner of the Atera app, click the New dropdown. Then click SNMP.
The New Device - SNMP page appears.
2. Fill in the fields:
- Enter the Device Name.
- Enter a Description of the device (optional).
- Click the Site dropdown menu to select the site you wish to assign the device to.
- Select the Folder you wish to add the device to (optional).
- Select the Monitoring Agent from the dropdown list. This is the designated agent within the network that will monitor the SNMP device. Once selected, the online/offline status of the monitoring agent will be populated (the monitoring agent can only be a Windows machine, either PC or Server).
- Enter the SNMP Device Hostname / IP Address.
- Select the Type of SNMP device from the dropdown menu.
- Set the port number of the device in the Port field.
- Select the Version number from the dropdown menu.
- Enter the name of the Community String.
3. Click Add.
The new SNMP device is added to the system. You are automatically diverted to the new SNMP device console page, where you can monitor and manage the device.
- The Monitor History graph will show down if an alert (of any type) is open for the monitored device.
- Following the completion of the above, you can add the Object Identifiers (OIDs) you wish to monitor. OIDs are addresses used to identify parameters for monitoring purposes. Atera automatically adds certain OIDs for monitoring; you can modify these as well as add your own. Learn how to add OIDs in Atera