The Online Backup Client offers backup and recovery service for MySQL databases on all of the supported operating systems.
The Online Backup Client handles all MySQL versions starting from 5.0 on Windows, Mac, and Linux (glibc 2.5 or higher required).
You can add multiple MySQL instances to your backup selection (if they are installed on the same machine).
- The Online Backup Client must be installed on the MySQL server that you want to back up.
- The MySQL server must be started as a service at the time a backup session starts.
- On Linux, glibc 2.5 or higher is required.
Types of backups
There are 2 types of MySQL backups in the Online Backup Client. They are version-dependent.
- Cold backups (the MySQL server is stopped for some 30-60 seconds before a backup session starts; it's necessary that no third-party applications should be keeping the database forcibly open at that time).
- Hot backups (the MySQL server keeps functioning while a backup session is running).
Hot backups are handled with the help of Percona XtraBackup (an open-source backup utility for MySQL). Cold backups are performed using the native Volume Shadow Copy Service from Microsoft.
|MySQL 5.0||Hot backups||Hot backups||Hot backups|
|MySQL 5.1||Hot backups|
|MySQL 5.5||Cold backups|
|MySQL 5.6||Cold backups|