Atera enables monitoring of 'Generic' devices. This refers to devices that are monitored using the ICMP protocol (i.e., non-SNMP switches, printers, UPS, etc.).
To monitor a generic device:
1. From the + sign on the top, right of the screen click New Generic.
The New Device page appears.
2. Fill in the fields:
- Enter the Device Name
- Enter a Description of the device (optional).
- Click the Customer dropdown menu to select the customer you wish to assign the device to.
- Select the Folder you wish to add the device to (optional).
- Select the Monitoring Agent from the dropdown menu. This is the designated agent within the network that will monitor the device and perform the sampling of the relevant ports. Once selected, the online/offline status of the monitoring agent will be populated.
- Enter the Device Hostname / IP Address
3. Click Save.
The device console page appears. Here's where you can see online/offline status, perform management functions, and edit device details. You can access the device console at any time by clicking on the specific generic device, from your Devices list. Device alerts appear here, as well as alongside all other Atera alerts.
Note: The monitored device receives ping requests from the monitoring agent (through the AgentPackageInternalPoller package) once every 120 seconds.