Sync Atera with Xero to export invoices your accounting software recognizes. Our sync wizard gets taxes, products and customers aligned between Atera and Xero, ensuring a seamless and smooth billing experience. Additionally, you can continue to manage any future sync ups via Atera's Accounting management page.
This article describes how to:
- Use the Sync Wizard
- Manage your Xero Integration
- Export Invoices to Xero
- Disconnect from Xero
Use the Sync Wizard
The Atera sync wizard gets taxes, products and customers aligned between Atera and Xero. After completing the wizard, taxes, products, and customers in Atera will be handled a bit differently. These are the changes, detailed by category:
- Will only be created and edited in Xero (so as to avoid duplicate/conflicting taxation on invoices).
- Your Atera invoices will be exported without taxes (for the above-mentioned reason).
- Taxes will automatically be added to your invoices in Xero (if Xero auto-tax in enabled).
Products (and Rates/Services)
- We will replace Atera products and rates with those in Xero (so as to avoid duplicate/conflicting items).
- Going forward, products and rates (services) will only be created and edited in Xero.
- Atera customers will have a matching customer in Xero.
- You’ll be able to import your Xero customers, who aren’t matched in Atera, so that invoices exported to Xero will be recognized.
The diagram below illustrates the direction of data flow between Atera and Xero.
To sync Atera with Xero:
1. From Admin (on the side panel), click Accounting.
The Accounting page appears.
2. In the Accounting Software Integration tab, click Connect, under the Xero logo.
The Xero login page appears.
3. Enter your Xero credentials, and click Log In.
A confirmation screen appears.
4. Click Allow access.
The sync wizard Welcome page appears.
5. After reading through the wizard welcome page, click Next.
The Match products step appears.
6. Match products: In this step Atera will automatically find 'exact match' product (and rate/service) matches between Atera and Xero. You will need to manually match the unmatched Atera items by selecting them from the Xero Product/Service dropdown menu. If an appropriate match doesn't exist, click theicon to create it in Xero. When done, click Next.
- Upon completion of the wizard, unmatched Atera products and rates will no longer appear in Atera. If this is alright, click Continue, on the confirmation message.
- Products and rates will appear in Xero with the same Atera pricing.
Note: Products and services, that are automatically created in Xero, are created with the same rates they had in Atera.
7. Match customers: In this step, Atera and Xero customers are matched up. Atera will automatically find 'exact match' customers between Atera and Xero. You will need to manually match the unmatched customers by selecting them from the dropdown menus. If an appropriate match doesn't exist, click theicon, to create the customer in Xero. When done, click Next.
Note: The invoices of unmatched customers cannot be exported to Xero. However, you can continue matching customers later, on the Accounting page. If you are OK with having unmatched customers at this time, click Continue, on the confirmation message.
8. Import customers: This final step enables you to import any Xero customers, who aren't matched or don't yet exist in Atera. After making your selection(s), click Next.
9. The Summary: After reviewing, click Done.
Note: Clicking Done saves all selections and changes made in the previous steps. Failure to click done will result in your selections not being saved.
A confirmation screen appears confirming a successful Atera and Xero sync.
- Products and rates - When accessing a contract as well as the 'Time Entries' and 'Products and Expenses' within tickets (in Atera), you will be able to see and choose from your list of Xero products and rates (services).
- Taxes - Anything having to do with taxes within Atera will be grayed out, as long as you are integrated with Xero. Should you choose to disconnect the integration, the tax features will again be useable.
Manage your Xero Integration
You can manage your integration and sync ups at anytime on the Accounting management page (after having completed the wizard).
To manage your integration:
1. From Admin (on the side panel), click Accounting.
The Accounting management page appears.
Note: This page only appears if, at some point, you had completed the sync wizard. Otherwise you will be prompted to do so.
You can manage all aspects of the Atera and Xero sync, exactly as found in the wizard. This includes management of taxes, products (and rates/services), customer matching and importing.
Export Invoices to Xero
You can export Atera invoices to Xero.
To export invoices:
1. From Billing on the side panel, click on (or create) the Invoice Batch you wish to export.
2. Click Export Invoices.
- When exporting invoices to Xero, you will be prompted to match any unmatched Atera and Xero customers, to ensure invoice recognition. You can also check 'Create' to have the new customer created in Xero, if the appropriate customer doesn't already exist.
- When exporting invoices with products/rates that don't exist in Xero, the products/rates will automatically be created in Xero, and will appear with the same pricing as in Atera.
When viewing an exported invoice, on Atera's Billing page, you can link directly to the invoice in Xero.
Disconnect from Xero
If you wish to discontinue your integration with Xero, you can do so at any time.
1. From Admin (on the side panel), click Accounting to access the Accounting management page.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Disconnect from Xero.
After confirming, Atera will disconnect from Xero.