Toggle between Atera for IT Departments and Atera for MSPs (on the left-hand side above navigation) for features tailored to your specific plan.
The Customer Portal is your customers' unique and personalized support site where they can open tickets, track the status of tickets, access knowledge base articles, and view all company tickets ('main contacts' only).
You can customize the experience for your customers by configuring your own Customer Portal URL, automatically sending out a personalized welcome email, selecting the types of tickets they can view, and more!
Customer Portal URL
Atera automatically generates a Customer Portal URL for your company. You can provide it to your customers as is, or create your own subdomain for brand consistency.
To access your Customer Portal URL:
From Admin (on the sidebar), click Customer Portal
The Customer Portal screen appears.
- You can define your own sub-domain by creating a CNAME record in your DNS settings and redirecting it to 'servicedesk.atera.com' (the URL can look like this http://helpdesk.yourcompanyname.com).
- In order to have SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) enabled automatically on the Customer Portal URL, the following URL pattern should be used: https://yourcompanyname.servicedesk.atera.com
When done, enter the new Portal Domain Name on the Customer Portal page, and click Update
In order for your customer to access the Customer Portal, they must receive a username and password from you. A unique username/password can be found on each contact's page (they are automatically generated upon contact creation).
Additionally, you can automatically generate an email welcoming new contacts and providing them with the Customer Portal URL, as well as their username and password. This provides them with everything they need to access the portal (See instructions below).
Note: A contact will be added automatically to the system and assigned to their company based on the domain name, the first time that contact opens a ticket (provided the company exists in the system).
Generate automatic 'Welcome email' for new contacts
You can automatically generate a welcome email to all new contacts, containing the Customer Portal URL as well as the contact's personal username and password.
To generate an automatic welcome email:
1. From Admin (on the sidebar), click Email Settings
2. Enable the 'Send an email to a newly added contact' option.
3. Select or create a welcome email template (Make sure that the template includes the 'Portal Username' and 'Portal Password' snippets, from the snippets list. Learn more about email templates
4. Click Update to save your settings.
Specify tickets for viewing on the Customer Portal
You can specify which tickets (by 'Ticket Status') your customers can view on the Customer Portal.
1. From Admin, click on Settings. The Settings page appears.
2. On the Settings page, click the Tickets tab.
3. Under the Customer Portal heading, check the boxes next to the tickets you'd like your customers to view.
4. Click Save. Your customers can now view the tickets you've specified.
- Selecting "The ticket cannot be reopened" from Admin > Settings > Tickets will block customers from reopening tickets in the Customer Portal.
- Billed tickets cannot be updated by the customer within the Customer Portal; in this case, the customer will not be able to edit the ticket details.
Edit ticket field visibility in the Customer Portal
You can control which ticket fields your customers can edit or view in the Customer Portal. This can be done for both default ticket fields and custom ticket fields.
Important Note: If your customers are already logged in to the Customer Portal when you change the ticket visibility settings, they may need to log in again for the changes to take effect.
To edit default ticket field visibility in the Customer Portal:
1. From Admin (on the sidebar), click Custom Fields.
The Custom Fields page appears. The Ticket tab is selected by default.
2. Click the edit icon () next to the default field whose visibility you want to change in the Customer Portal. The Field window appears.
4. Choose whether you want to give customers edit permissions, read-only permissions, or hide the ticket field entirely from the Customer Portal. Then click Apply.
Nice! The changes have been applied and will be reflected in the Customer Portal.
To edit custom ticket field visibility in the Customer Portal
1. Follow the steps above to navigate to the Custom Fields page.
2. Click the edit icon () next to the custom field whose visibility you want to change in the Customer Portal.
The Field window appears.
3. Choose whether to allow customers to edit the custom field or hide the field entirely from the Customer Portal. Then click Apply.
Note: There is no read-only option for custom field visibility in the Customer Portal.
Great! The changes have been applied and will be reflected in the Customer Portal.
Select Customer Portal language
Contacts can select their preferred language after logging into the Customer Portal.
Once they receive the Customer Portal URL + username + password and they log in successfully to the Customer facing portal, they can click App Settings (on the sidebar) and select the chevon icon next to the current language to choose their preferred language.
Currently, Atera supports English, French, Deutsch, Spanish, and Italian.
Note: If there is a need for the Customer Portal in a language not currently supported, please contact support. We will guide you through a process to help us expand our language offerings, with your requested language potentially being included in our next release.