Atera is set up to automate as many features as possible, including automatically sending emails to customers upon ticket creation or update. These emails are generated and sent to the customer informing them of ticket status, and other useful information. Learn more about automation rules.
It is, however, possible to create a ticket without triggering an automated email to be sent to the customer. This feature is useful in scenarios where you'd like to work on a task for a customer but don't want them to receive a message about it (e.g. a backend fix to a server performed during off-hours). To achieve this, an automation rule must be created in order to disable the automated email from being sent to the customer, when a ticket is created.
Create custom field
Create a Custom Field, a 'Silent' custom field must be created within tickets.
1. Go to Admin, on the side panel and click on Custom fields.
2. In the Custom fields page, click on Add field.
3. Set the field options.
- Target - Ticket
- Type - Dropdown
- Title - Silent
- Options - Not Required & Hide field
- Values - Add the values 'Yes' and 'No'
Note: This button should be set to 'private' to ensure it will not be viewable by the customer.
4. Click Add.
The custom field has been created and now appears in all your tickets.
Create an Automation Rule
Create an automation rule to specify that new ticket emails will only be sent to customers that have their ticket custom field 'Silent' dropdown set to 'No'.
1. Go to Admin > Ticket Automation Rules.
2. In the existing 'Send an email to contact when a new ticket is created' automation rule, add another condition:
- Ticket Property - Silent (The dropdown just created)
- Operator - Not Equals
- Expected Value - Yes
- Must Match - Yes (check)
3. Click Add.
The rule has been created.