Sync Atera with QuickBooks Online to export invoices that your accounting software recognizes. Our sync wizard gets taxes, products, and customers aligned between Atera and QuickBooks Online, ensuring a seamless and smooth billing experience. Additionally, you can continue to manage any future sync-ups via Atera's Accounting management page.
Synchronization and workflow changes
Taxes, products, and customers will be synchronized between Atera and QuickBooks Online — and will be handled differently upon completion of the wizard. These are the changes, detailed by category:
- Will only be created and edited in QuickBooks Online (so as to avoid duplicate/conflicting taxation on invoices).
- Your Atera invoices will be exported without taxes (for the above-mentioned reason).
- Taxes will automatically be added to your invoices in QuickBooks Online.
Products (and Rates/Services)
- We will replace Atera products and rates with those in QuickBooks Online (so as to avoid duplicate/conflicting items).
- Going forward, products and rates (services) will only be created and edited in QuickBooks Online.
- Atera customers will have a matching customer in QuickBooks Online.
- You’ll be able to import your QuickBooks Online customers, who aren’t matched in Atera, so that invoices exported to QuickBooks Online will be recognized.
Sync Atera with QuickBooks Online
1. Go to Admin > Business administration > Accounting.
The Accounting page appears.
2. Click Connect, under the QuickBooks logo.
The QuickBooks login page appears.
3. Sign in to your QuickBooks account.
The Connecting to Atera page appears.
4. Click Connect.
The sync wizard welcome screen appears.
5. After reading through the wizard welcome page, click Next.
The Match products step appears.
6. Match products: In this step, Atera will automatically find 'exact match' product (and rate/service) matches between Atera and QuickBooks Online. You will need to manually match the unmatched Atera items by selecting them from the QuickBooks Product/Service dropdown menu. If an appropriate match doesn't exist, click the create icon () to create it in QuickBooks Online. When done, click Next.
- Products and expenses must have a name in QuickBooks to be shown in Atera when retrieved.
- Upon completion of the wizard, unmatched Atera products and rates will no longer appear in Atera.
- Products and rates will appear in QuickBooks Online with the same Atera pricing.
- There is a limit of 8000 products that can be synced between Atera and Quickbooks Online. However, the optimal number is around 1000 products.
The Match customers step appears.
7. Match customers: In this step, Atera and QuickBooks Online customers are matched up. Atera will automatically find 'exact match' customers between Atera and QuickBooks. You will need to manually match the unmatched customers by selecting them from the dropdown menus. If an appropriate match doesn't exist, click the create icon () to create the customer in QuickBooks Online. When done, click Next.
The Import customers step appears.
8. Import customers: This final step enables you to import any QuickBooks Online customers, who aren't matched or don't yet exist in Atera. After making your selection(s), click Next.
The Summary appears.
9. The Summary: After reviewing, click Done.
Note: Clicking Done saves all selections and changes made in the previous steps. Failure to click done will result in your selections not being saved.
A confirmation screen appears confirming a successful Atera and QuickBooks Online sync.
- Products and rates - When accessing a contract as well as the 'Time Entries' and 'Products and Expenses' within tickets (in Atera), you will be able to see and choose from your list of QuickBooks Online products and rates (services).
- Taxes - Anything having to do with taxes within Atera will be grayed out, as long as you are integrated with QuickBooks Online. Should you choose to disconnect the integration, the tax features will again be useable.
Manage QuickBooks Online integration
Manage your integration and syncs at any time on the Accounting management page (after completing the wizard).
Manage your integration
1. Go to Admin > Business administration > Accounting.
The Accounting management page appears.
Note: This page only appears if, at some point, you had completed the sync wizard. Otherwise, you will be prompted to do so.
You can manage all aspects of the Atera and QuickBooks Online sync, exactly as found in the wizard. This includes management of taxes, products (and rates/services), customer matching, and importing.
To export Atera invoices to QuickBooks online:
1. From Billing on the side panel, click on (or create) the Invoice Batch you wish to export.
2. Click Export.
- When exporting invoices to QuickBooks Online, you will be prompted to match any unmatched Atera and QuickBooks customers, to ensure invoice recognition. You can also check 'Create' to have the new customer created in QuickBooks if the appropriate customer doesn't already exist.
- When exporting invoices with products/rates that don't exist in QuickBooks Online, the products/rates will automatically be created in QuickBooks Online, and will appear with the same pricing as in Atera.
- We've added a default 0% product/service tax rate, when 'non-taxable' is specified on QuickBooks Online, to enable smooth integration with QuickBooks Online International, which requires entry of a product/service tax rate.
- Changes made to invoices from Quickbooks will not reflect on invoices you see in Atera.
When viewing an exported invoice, on Atera's Billing page, you can link directly to the invoice in QuickBooks Online.
Disconnect from QuickBooks Online
If you wish to discontinue your integration with QuickBooks Online, you can do so at any time.
1. From Admin (on the side panel), click Accounting to access the Accounting Management page.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Disconnect from QuickBooks Online.
After confirming, Atera will disconnect from QuickBooks Online.