For added login security, you can choose to log in with two-factor authentication (2FA) using an authenticator app, which is available to Growth and Power plan subscribers. We offer 2FA in partnership with some of the most popular authenticator apps like Google Authenticator, Authy, Duo, and Microsoft Authenticator. This article explains how to upgrade the default log in security settings (standard username and password) to 2FA, and begin using it.
2FA authenticator apps
Atera supports 2FA via some of the most popular authenticator apps like Google Authenticator, Authy, Duo, and Microsoft Authenticator, which can be downloaded from Google Play, the App Store, or as a Chrome extension on your computer.
Note: If you use Duo or Microsoft Authenticator, you'll need to select 'Other' when adding an account to the authenticator app (see image below).
Set up 2FA
The 2FA login process can be set by your company admin.
To set up 2FA:
1. From Admin (on the side panel), click on Log in and 2FA.
The Log in and 2FA screen appears.
2. Select Two-Factor Authentication (2FA).
3. Then select the names of the users for whom you'd like to set up 2FA, and click Enable 2FA. 2FA will take effect at the user's next log in.
Note: You can change the user(s) login process back to previous settings at any time.
Log in with 2FA
Once 2FA has been set up by your company admin, the new process takes effect at the user's next login.
To log in with 2FA:
1. Log in to Atera with your username and password, and click Log in.
2. The following screen appears. Follow the instructions on the screen, including installing an authenticator app (e.g. Google Authenticator or Authy) on your mobile phone and then scanning the QR code.
Important Note: Please copy and save the code that appears under the QR code. In case you can't access your phone, you can enter the code in place of the authenticator app code. Failure to do so can result in being locked out of your account. For security reasons, restoration of account access by Atera support is a lengthy process.
3. Once you've installed the authenticator app, and scanned the QR code, Atera prompts you for code verification. Enter the code provided by the authenticator app. Voila! You're granted access.