If you’ve ever used a company-owned PC, you may have seen a legal notice displayed before you sign in to Windows. Here’s how you can do the same thing on the PCs you manage, and display a message with any text you want.
Commands to add custom messages on the login screen
The following commands will add registry keys locally on the device. After adding the keys to a device, the message will appear every time someone logs on to the device.
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v legalnoticecaption /t REG_SZ /d "Atera Legal Notice" /f
Command to modify the title
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v legalnoticetext /t REG_SZ /d "This PC is protected by Atera" /f
Command to modify the text
Message example that will be displayed on the logon screen.
Create a script to add a custom message
1. From the Admin panel (on the side menu), access Scripts.
The Scripts page will be displayed.
2. Click on Create script.
3. The Create script page will be displayed. Here, add the commands to create the script. Make sure to select the File Type as .bat.
4. After you add the commands in the Script edit section, click on More script options.
5. Select the script Run as method, as System.
6. Fill in all the remaining mandatory fields, and click on Create. The script will be saved on your Atera account.