The Atera agent is the foundation of the Atera monitoring system and needs to be installed on all computers and servers you wish to monitor. The agent monitors the availability, performance, and health of the computer/server at regular intervals and securely communicates back to the cloud. This enables Atera to send you alerts when a critical system or resource is down, degraded, or has reached a predefined threshold parameter.
The reporting intervals are based on extensive big data analysis, ensuring optimal notification timing. The Atera agent has very low overhead usage, meaning it can run comfortably on minimum specification machines, and automatically updates itself whenever a new version is released. There is no limit and no cost to the number of agents that can be installed.
This article covers:
Atera agents can be installed on the following operating systems:
- Microsoft OS: Windows Vista and above
- Microsoft Server: 2008 and above
- MacOS High Sierra (10.13) and above
Additional PC requirement: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and above.
- If you’re using macOS Big Sur with an M1 processor, you need to install Rosetta (a dynamic binary translator developed by Apple) before installing any agents. For more info, see Install an Agent on a Mac OS Device
- If you're installing the Atera agent via Microsoft Intune or in a Citrix environment, this may create duplicate devices in your console as each environment re-deploys the software after a certain period.
Install the Atera Agent
Agent Installation Types
- Single-agent installation: Used to install an agent on a single customer device, in a non-domain environment.
- Multiple agent installation (using Group Policy): Used to automatically install agents on multiple customer devices in a domain environment.
Agent Installation Instructions
- Install an agent on a Windows OS device
- Install an agent on a Mac OS device
- Install an agent via the customer's page
Note: You will receive a notification (in the Notification Center) each time an agent is installed on any of your customers' devices.
If you experience any trouble with agent installation or stability, see: